Sunday, December 16, 2012

On living, loving and learning


There have been many recent experiences that have varying magnitude of emotion.  Different kinds of emotions define each situation.  These experiences have led me and sometimes forced me to look back to the basics of my own existence.  The hardest part of it all is that it doesn’t seem to stop with my own pondering because everyone else is doing the same.  I have come to realize that most of them are different.  The reflections I mean.  That seems to be the hardest part for me. 
In a world where differences are accepted and hated depending on the situation, in a world where similarities are accepted and hated depending on the situation, indeed makes it difficult to figure out where my opinion stands—where they all stand. 

Different opinions affect us all in different ways.  My mom’s opinion can mean more to me in one instance where another instance I’ll be stalking my twitter feed.  We go to different sources for different answers, but in a world where social media is exponentially growing, we encounter so many of these opposing opinions within seconds even on our own facebook newsfeeds.  We are constantly having to process our friend’s thoughts and if they are the same as ours. We are constantly trying to recount our own, while realizing many people feel differently.  We can see celebrity’s opinions on most anything within seconds, while also seeing the opinion of the neighbor down the street. 

With the school shooting, gun control, the holiday season, recent politics, with wearing pants to church, with personal hardships—we seem to constantly compare.  We are choosing what information we give and withhold about ourselves every day.  This has made me think a lot about what I am showing everyone as my ‘virtual’ profile if you will.  We all know everyone has one.


                The’ frequent’ post-er
                The ‘sometimes’ post-er
                The ‘important things’ post-er
                The ‘sympathy’ poster
                The ‘infrequent’ post-er
                The ‘only when things are looking good’ post-er
                Etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.,

Sometimes the world seems glim.  I know when I heard about the shootings I couldn’t believe I was going to be bringing children into this world with these bad things happening.  How could I ever wave goodbye to them at the bus stop!

We are stereotyping people more these days because we encounter more of what they think.  We all have our own news articles, press releases, picture updates, opinions, sarcastic comments (me), for sale ads that are not immune from letters to the editor, constant reviews, reactions, who wore it best, and comments even when we didn’t ask for them.  This is hard and new to many of us—to have these instant positive or negative reactions to what we hold as personal and important…but are they personal?   Have you ever deleted something that doesn’t personally offend you, but you know if someone else sees it on your profile you would be ashamed? Many I know would answer ‘no’, but it’s sad that I answered yes!

My dad talked to me many years ago while I was having some struggles in my life.  It as an idea for a book he wanted to write as he had so many experiences that pointed him to the following conclusion (in my own words):

“the more you are the same in each social, family, personal, spiritual ect., circumstance, the more confident you will be”

I know I could see this evidence when I was a teenager.  Act all cool around my friends  and then come home to my siblings and quite literally lose my cool.


I believe this idea is what I have been led to while coping with the hard and even happy things in my life. Share the joys, share the struggles, but the most important is to always be you.  Prioritize the most important things in life and don’t forget that list even in the daily reactions to life.  Sometimes things seem so much bigger than we can handle. The news of the tragic event of the shooting hit me really hard.  Nobody needed to hear my opinion about gun control at that time and for me, I realized the most important thing was to tell my family and close ones how much I appreciate them.  Hard things happen and we need to learn from them.  I know when I looked on my newsfeed and got stressed and annoyed at what people were saying or offering I just needed to ‘tune’ it out and put my focus elsewhere.

This holiday season I am very thankful to my Savior for the beautiful life I have.  I am happy that I have complete ownership in how I live it each day.  The most important thing is to treat people with love and compassion. 

There will always be difference of opinions.

This life is meant to be a happy one full of sacrifice and love.  It’s all about the basics.  We know that because in hard times of trial we all just feel the need to our loved ones a little bit tighter.  I could probably do a little bit better to not get affected about other’s emotions and opinions and just focus in keeping a happy perspective and being a better me.
 
The following is one of my favorite quotes from the beautiful Marjorie Pay Hinckley.  “My favorite age was 50.  It was the age where I stopped caring what everyone else thought of me” (paraphrased).  I am trying to substitute my current age into that sentence!

May all of our blessings be recognized and shared this beautiful Christmas season!